1/7

Basildon Borough History

Basildon Borough History

  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Basildon, Essex, England

Est. 2015

The hamlet of Basildon, which gives its name to the borough, was designated a New Town in 1948.  This took in Pitsea, Laindon, Vange and Basildon itself.  Being the most central of the villages Basildon was chosen as the name of the new town.

Basildon town is in South Essex bordered by Chelmsford to the north, Benfleet to the east, Thurrock to the south and Brentwood to the west.  The train station, which is near the town centre, is served by C2C who operate the line from London Fenchurch Street, via Laindon, Pitsea and Southend Central before terminating in Thorpe Bay.

 

Wikipedia gives the towns population as just under 100,000. 

 

Prior to the development of the area Basildon was a small village centred around Holy Cross Church which is now at the end of Church Road, off of Whitmore Way.

​The Essex Standard reported on 17 May 1884 that 'Basseldon' was part of the Pitsea Polling District.

1/2

Whitmore Way

The first photo shows a view of Whitmore Way, near Church Road, taken in October 1958.  The second shows the same view in August 2016.

1/1

Stacey's Corner
Thomas Poulton (1879-1956) stands outside Flint Cottage near Stacey's Corner, Barstable probably in the 1940's.  Stacey's Corner was a coalyard.

1/2

Fire Station

These photographs of Basildon Fire Station, on Broadmayne, were taken in the mid 1970's.

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now