Basildon Borough History

Basildon Borough History

Basildon Borough History

  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Basildon, Essex, England

Est. 2015

Leiendina was listed in the Domesday Book of 1086.


Laindon is set to the west of the borough with Dunton on it's west side, Langdon Hills to the south, Little Burstead to the north and the town of Basildon to the east.

Laindon was the birth place of 

Joan Sims.  Her father, John Henry Sims, was station master at Laindon train station. Joan became known to millions for her roles in the Carry On film series and later in 'On The Up' and 'As Time Goes By'. 

Laindon train station was opened in 1888 and went through to Pitsea from London.  Today this is on the Fenchurch Street line which goes through Basildon and Pitsea on it's way in to Southend.


Probably Basildon's most famous former residents are Depeche Mode, though none of them were born in the Borough.


There is a plaque at James Hornsby School (then called Nicholas Comprehensive) in Laindon commemorating the bands first gig.


Former band member Vince Clark joined forces with Billericay born vocalist Alison Moyet in 1982 to form Yazoo.


The Royal Court was built in the 1960's and stood for around 50 years. This photo is from the Basildon District Urban Guide 1972.

Lee was recorded as ‘Lea’ in the Domesday Book of 1086.  This is probably before the Chapel had been constructed.  The name comes from the Anglo-Saxon ‘Leam’ which means ‘woodland clearing’.

The parish of Lee was made up of two hamlets: East Lee and West Lee.  Both had a chapel.  East Lee’s chapel stood near The Knares and West Lee’s was thought to be near Westley Hall.


West Lee became part of Langdon Hills during the 15th Century.

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now