Basildon Borough History
Basildon Borough History
Basildon, Essex, England
Billericay High Street is home to many buildings of historic interest and over 20 of these buildings are listed.
Billericay Police Station sits at the Sun Corner end of the High Street. Built in 1938 the combined courthouse and police station replaced the previous station which later became a town hall and is now a restaurant.
The White Hart Inn was built in the early 1800’s and sites next door to the post office. The building was converted in to a Turkish Restaurant in 2016 but retained its Grade II listing.
Opposite the post office is Burghstead House. This Grade II listed building is hidden behind a tree and is next door to Billericay Library. Billericay’s Citizen’s Advice Bureau are based in Burghstead House.
Three Horseshoes House is a Grade II listed former inn. Built in the 1700’s, with 137 High Street built in the late 1700’s/early 1800’s next door. Both buildings are listed.
There are three K6 model telephone kiosks along the High Street, with two of them outside the post office. The third contains a defibrillator. This model was designed in 1935 for the coronation of King George V, and all three are Grade II listed.
Both 131 and 133 have a Grade II status. They were added to the list in 1955. This wooden framed building was constructed in the 1700’s and today sits opposite Waitrose.
When 106 High Street was built in the 1700’s it was to be used as a house. In the last century it was converted in to shops and to shop fronts were added. The building was given a Grade II listing in 1971. Next door is the former Billericay Bakery shop. This had previously been a veterinary surgery.
98 High Street is better known as Regis House and 100 is known as Foxcroft. Both were built in the Georgian style around 1750. Regis House was built of red brick whilst Foxcroft was built using white brick.
Regis House was The Maidens Head Inn until the early 1800's. During the Second World War it was the headquarters of Billericay's Home Guard. Foxcroft was a children's home.
A shop, a Post Office and an Italian restaurant now occupy 93 and 95 High Street, with a cart entrance separating the two. Constructed in the 1800’s the frontage was altered in the 20th Century. Both buildings are Grade II listed.
The White Lyon Inn once occupied the site of 75-79 High Street. This Grade II listed building, with cart entrance, was built in the early 1500’s and was used an inn for around 125 years.
Next door to 75 High Street is the Reading Rooms. This building was opened in 1886 and shares part of its site with a photographic shop. The building is a larger that it first appears.
Pizza Express currently occupy 63 High Street, which was built in the late 18th or early 19th century and is Grade II listed.
Next door is the Grade II listed The Chantry, 57 to 61 High Street. It is believed to have been built around 1510 and is said to have been the home of Christopher Martin who provisioned the Mayflower before it set off for the New World.
Billericay War Memorial is situated next door to St. Mary Magdelen’s Church where Chapel Street meets the High Street. The memorial is extremely well looked after and is often surrounded by flowers.
Another late 18th or early 19th century building, 63 High Street which sits next door to The Chequers and is Grade II listed.
Opposite The Blue Boar is Sheredays and Hill House. Sheredays, 22 High Street, is a timber framed farmhouse built during the 1500’s and encase in brick 200 years later. Hill House was built next door in the 19th century in yellow brick. Both are Grade II listed.
Harry’s Bar and the bakery it shares a building with was built in the 1570’s and was formerly the Magpie and Horseshoe Inn.
The Bull Inn used to occupy the current site of 12 High Street for over 300 years. This is only part of a house that was built in the 1500’s or 1600’s and is Grade II listed. It is now a carpet shop.
The Chequers has been an inn since 1765 having been built as a house in the 1500’s. It is a Grade II listed building, having been added to the list with 1 Chapel Street.
St Mary Magdalen Church and Church House are both Grade II listed. The house, 46 High Street, was originally built in the 1700’s but was restored in the late 1990’s.
The Cater Museum occupies 74 High Street. This Grade II listed building was constructed in the 1700’s. The Cater Museum officially opened in 1960 to share the history of the area.
Next door is 72 High Street, another Grade II listed building. All that is left is the gable of a 1600’s house.
Number 41 High Street, is now number 33. It started its life as a house in the 1700’s and is now a Funeral Directors.
At the end of the High Street are two more pubs. The Crown is a former coaching inn and has been a regular haunt of Billericay Town fans for decades. Opposite is The Railway that sits next door to The Constitutional Club.