Basildon Borough History

Basildon Borough History

  • Twitter
  • Instagram

Basildon, Essex, England

Est. 2015


The Five Bells public house sits along side Bells Hill Road, at the bottom of the hill behind Basildon Hospital.
The 1888 OS Map shows the Bell Hill Road going straight in to Fobbing.  The pub was on the junction with the High Road, Vange.

The Five Bells Restaurant is Grade II listed, and has been since 1950.  The listing suggests the Five Bells was built in the early 1700's and that the old forge is now part of the pub itself.  This appears to be the single storey area to the left of the front entrance.

'Basildon: A Pictorial History' shows the pub in the 1930's with the forge next to it.  The book also mentions that there are deeds for an inn there from 1690 but the pub is first named on an 'Alehouse list' in 1769.

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now