Basildon Borough History
Basildon Borough History
Basildon, Essex, England
Before the creation of Basildon as a New Town the area was home to several farms. Though the vast majority of them are no longer standing their names are still remembered around the town.
Fryerns Farm gave its name to a housing estate and a school. History suggests that this was the first farm to be compulsory purchased to make way for the creation of the New Town. It stood between Whitmore Court and Fryerns Baptist Church. The farmhouse was accessed from a road that travelled past Great Spenders Farm. The road was tree lined, and several of those trees can still be seen in Whitmore Park.
Great Spenders, which was remembered when a road off of Whitmore Way was named after it, stood opposite Cranes Farm, next to what is now Cranes Farm Road. This site is now covered by modern housing but part of the farm complex stood where an allotment is now situated, and a small wooded area that is fenced off. By the 1950’s both sites were shown as ‘Cranes Farm’.
Temple Farm stood on an area very close to Cranes Farm but there is no trace of it by the 1950’s.
Basildon Hospital and St. Luke’s Hospice stand on a hill that was once occupied by Fobbing Farm. The farmhouse still stands and is used by St. Luke’s as offices.
Brewitt's Farm once stood on the current site of Gloucester Park
Barstable Hall occupied the site that is now Basildon Town Centre.
Basildon Town Centre is now a busy shopping hub and a well built up area. Prior to this Barstable Hall sat roughly where the staircase now stands.
Next to East Thorpe, alongside the train tracks, is a moated area that once contained Basildon Hall. Most of the moat is now dry, put part of it is now a pond. The area is a scheduled site.
On the Basildon side of Dunton Road was Sellers Farm. Part of this site is now home to a Christmas tree retailer.
Gloucester Park was once farmed from Brewitt’s Farmhouse. The building stood near the site of the Sporting Village and would have been visible from St. Nicholas Church. It stood on a road that lead to Wooton’s Farm (near where Panadown, a road near Uppermayne) and on to Barstable Hall. Brewitt’s was still standing in the 1950’s but Wooton’s did last as long.
The playing fields of Fairhouse School were once occupied by Fairhouse Farm. This farm was worked by James and Elizabeth Mead until 1808. They were both killed on 1 June 1808 when they were run over by a horse and cart just outside of Romford. They were buried in the cemetery at Holy Cross Church. John was 53 years old and Elizabeth was 49, both had been born in Laindon.
Boteler’s Farmhouse, known as The Moathouse, farmed the area around Holy Cross Church. The moat that surrounded the house still exists and is now owned by a private fishing club.
Hunt’s Farmhouse once stood where Howard Chase is, near Cranes Farm Road, not far from Brewitt’s.
The New Holland Tractor Plant, on Cranes Farm Road, which had been occupied by Ford's until the 1990's had been occupied by Oliphants Farmhouse. It was also the site of two rectories.
Mudies Farm once stood on Timberlog Lane, but appears to have disappeared before 1900. Timberlog Lane ran from Nevendon, around Craylands and down to where it meets Vange High Road today.
Mudies Farm, seen here during the 1890's, once stood somewhere along Timberlog Lane.